January 23, 2007

Love Gods Way

Donnie Davies

After seeing the music video by Donnie Davies and Evening Service on YouTube called “The Bible Says” I initially thought it was a joke. A bad joke, and not particularly work safe in the lyrics department, but a joke nonetheless. Her mannerisms and style just seemed to be saying a tongue was firmly planted in cheek.

It might take a while to find out if it is indeed legit, and research on the ministry provides no serious insight. Take for instance, this gem of a page at the Love Gods Way ministry (currently not coming up without aide of Google’s cache);

Gay Bands

One of the most dangerous ways homosexuality invades family life is through popular music. Parents should keep careful watch over their children’s listening habits, especially in this Internet Age of MP3 piracy.

Bands to watch out for

* Sufjan Stevens
* Morrissey
* The Pet Shop Boys
* Metallica
* Judas Priest
* The Secret Handshake

Start pruning your libraries.

Video Link

comments

1. Sheila Ryan on January 23rd, 2007 at 3:44 pm

Cole Porter — Are they more like Judas Priest or Van Halen?

2. Sheila Ryan on January 23rd, 2007 at 3:58 pm

And let us not forget the Kinks:

Well, I’m not the world’s most masculine man/But I know what I am and I’m glad I’m a man/And so is Lola.

3. Andrew Simone on January 23rd, 2007 at 4:09 pm

Interestingly enough, Sufjan Stevens is Episcopalian and his Christmas album is incredible.

I can’t believe it’s serious.

4. Sheila Ryan on January 23rd, 2007 at 4:16 pm

I’m confused.

Does being Episcopalian and recording an incredible Christmas album preclude being gay?

Seriously. I’m confused. And it has little to do with Sufjian Stevens. I imagine it has much to do with the fact that I was not raised by parents who professed an organized religion and that I didn’t get religion once I grew up. Still and all, I am confused.

5. Deron Bauman on January 23rd, 2007 at 4:16 pm

whether it is a spoof or not, I love it.

6. Andrew Simone on January 23rd, 2007 at 4:23 pm

No it doesn’t. It was just an observation. Episcopalians ever year or so, argue about whether or not homosexuals should be ordained. Sufjan tends to avoid the issue but some have theories about certain songs…not that it really makes any difference.

It just struck me that, of all the artists to list from the sites (longer) list, his name should appear is odd.

7. Sheila Ryan on January 23rd, 2007 at 4:29 pm

Gotcha. Sorry to froth at the mouth like a rabid wildebeest. I missed your point, probably because I was already working on my riposte. A constitutional failing I’m striving to overcome. Again, my sincere apology.

8. Mary Jeys on January 23rd, 2007 at 4:44 pm

whoa. Their logo is suspiciously similar to the very gay friendly volunteer organization, God’s Love We Deliver.

Also, is shirtless David Lee Roth enough to send Van Halen onto this list?

9. Chris G. on January 23rd, 2007 at 5:26 pm

David Lee Roth, shirtless or not, should help prevent anything from ending up on a gay list.

Unless it is a list about package enhancing outfits.

10. Deron Bauman on January 23rd, 2007 at 5:34 pm

I guess that means Spinal Tap is very hetero friendly.

11. Daniel Lestarjette on January 23rd, 2007 at 5:56 pm

MP3 piracy? That’s rich—Christians regularly priate mp3 all the time.

Anyway, I was always taught that if you can’t say anything nice, then don’t say anything at all, so I better shut my damn mouth.

Grrrrr….

12. Sheila Ryan on January 23rd, 2007 at 6:03 pm

Daniel, I was taught the same as you, but in my case it didn’t seem to take. I’m trying . . . I think.

13. Deron Bauman on January 23rd, 2007 at 6:05 pm

Daniel, the people who teach us things like that don’t want to hear what we have to say.

14. The County Clerk on January 23rd, 2007 at 10:13 pm

Cole Porter…

Yes. PARENTS BEWARE IF YOUR KIDS ARE LISTENING TO COLE PORTER… not because Porter was gay, but because your kids are pretty much gonna get their asses kicked every day… until high school, at which time they are gonna be having all variety of premarital sex just because they are just “more cool’ than every one else.

Same with piano lessons.

Yep… watch out for old Cole. That’s trouble.

15. John Buaas on January 23rd, 2007 at 11:31 pm

What an odd list.

I see Sigur Ros isn’t on the list despite the fact that one of its members is openly gay. Of course, they sing in Icelandic and that made-up language of theirs, so they pose a danger only to Icelanders and themselves.

16. Sheila Ryan on January 24th, 2007 at 9:16 am

Yeah, you let your kids listen to Cole Porter tunes, they’re liable to grow up like the person who posted this.

17. Sheila Ryan on January 24th, 2007 at 9:54 am

The response is overwhelming. You guys know of a lot more Gay Bands than I do. I can’t keep up. (Donnie Davies)

18. Clayton Green on January 26th, 2007 at 8:51 am

And you call yourselves follower’s of god!??? Makes me whant to reconsider going into ministry…
    Controling what your children listen to!?? This is out of control. They have brains.. you just need to teach them to use it!

19. Tony on March 11th, 2007 at 3:11 am

All you people are mad – Don’t you all know that god is a spoof – This is all in your head – If there was a god he would be a bit of a dick – fcking around with peoples heads

20. Gemma on March 15th, 2007 at 8:43 pm

On the full list of “gay” bands, they included:
    Jay-Z
    Eminem
    The Red Hot Chilli Peppers
    and many more

Last I checked, none of these bands or singers are gay. It wouldn’t matter if they were

They label the Dresdon Dolls as a ‘safe band’
    Their music should be more offensive to their religion than music about gays should be

they blamed gays for corrupting society

i have never heard of a more corrupt organisation than the chuch