June 5, 2008

Lose Something?

A couple things have turned up lately. One, a 30-foot lighthouse that once overlooked Wellfleet Harbor in Massachusetts, and was presumed destroyed in 1925, has been found at the southern end of San Francisco Bay, and, two, a 4,000 year old pyramid believed to have been discovered by an archaeologist almost 200 years ago has been found again. This reminds me of the cigarette case I saw in a local shop that read I lost my virginity but still have the box it came in.

Ahem.

comments

1. Sheila Ryan on June 5th, 2008 at 6:10 pm

It is astonishing the degree to which people fail to observe the disappearance of monumental objects. My friend Melanie and I have noted this phenomenon throughout the years following the removal of the [1831] London Bridge to Lake Havasu City, Arizona. Very very slowly, and with a good deal of stealth, much of pre-1945 London has been conveyed to a stretch of the Colorado River along the border between Arizona and southern California. It’s true!

2. Deron Bauman on June 5th, 2008 at 7:07 pm

honey, have you seen my monolith?

3. Sheila Ryan on June 5th, 2008 at 7:23 pm

There. You see? Prolly stole it right out the yard. Shoved it into a panel truck and hauled it off.

4. Deron Bauman on June 5th, 2008 at 8:21 pm

I’m always misplacing ‘things’.

5. Olly on June 6th, 2008 at 3:44 am

“reported by Colleen MacNeney in this month’s edition of Lighthouse Digest.”

Man, there’s a magazine for *everything*.

6. peter ramus on June 6th, 2008 at 10:14 pm

Montara is south of San Francisco, but on the Pacific, just north of Half Moon Bay. The southern end of San Francisco Bay is about three feet deep and probably doesn’t have much call for a lighthouse.

7. Chattails 06.07.08 « The Errant Æsthete on June 7th, 2008 at 5:41 pm

[...] Lost and found: 1) a Massachusetts lighthouse missing since 1925 turned up in California and 2) an Egyptian pyramid discovered in the 1840s and subsequently lost again was recently rediscovered. [Clusterflock] [Via link] [...]