December 21, 2008

What’s your favorite

Roy Orbison song? (Question inspired by PBS rerunning A Black and White Night.)

When I was a kid, I probably leaned to “Running Scared” (or  maybe “Only the Lonely”). Now I think I go for the “Crying” duet with KD Lang.

comments

1. Jon Cone on December 21st, 2008 at 12:01 pm

So many incredible songs to choose from! But I remember listening to my brother’s transistor radio, holding it close to my ear, and hearing — and being thrilled by — the incredible power of Orbison’s ‘Pretty Woman.’ I know, I know, not at all an original choice; yet I’d be lying if I did not admit the power the song exerts even to this day.

2. Daryl Scroggins on December 21st, 2008 at 12:41 pm

Just asked Cindy–she said “Cryin”

3. Sheila Ryan on December 21st, 2008 at 1:56 pm

I’ve always been fond of Orbison’s “Leah” — he dreams himself a drowning pearl diver, wakes into a reality of emptiness and loss, and returns to sleep, where even a dream of drowning offers consolation.

(Oh — and doesn’t kd lang look as though singing with Roy Orbison is like dying and going to heaven for her? I do love me that Black and White Night.)

4. Deron Bauman on December 21st, 2008 at 3:46 pm

crying.

5. Jane Quigley on December 21st, 2008 at 4:37 pm

“In Dreams” – any song that plays a major part in Blue Velvet AND starts, “A candy-colored clown they call the sandman…”. Eerie and hauntingly beautiful. Also a great karaoke song to do way past the midnight hour.

6. Phil Bebbington on December 21st, 2008 at 6:16 pm

Easy – the glorious 7-minute opus “Southbound Jericho Parkway”

I have loved it from a child

7. Kris on December 21st, 2008 at 7:50 pm

“Cryin’” stands out for me, but “Ooby Dooby”, “Only The Lonely”, “In Dreams”, and I really have to add “She’s a Mystery to Me”, because it did introduce me to the man’s work late on.

8. David Grossblatt on December 21st, 2008 at 10:44 pm

none better “than In dreams”

9. Andricon on December 22nd, 2008 at 7:45 am

Crying, as heard in Gummo*.

* It always comes back to Gummo.

10. Brandon Hobson on December 22nd, 2008 at 1:41 pm

I have Black and White night on dvd and watch it occasionally. When I do, I always listen to “Only the Lonely” and “Crying,” two of my favorites. A fun video, especially with Tom Waits and T.Bone Burnett. Also interesting to see Billy Idol in the crowd.