February 20, 2009

[Repeat to fade]

Cindy said, “Mum’s the word.” Ain’t that the truth.

And I say, “Bird’s the word, too.” Y’all.

Just feeling silly. Laughing in the face of — you know — doom. Or doomsayers.

A-well-a everybody’s heard about the bird
B-b-b-bird, bird, bird, b-bird’s the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, the bird is the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, well the bird is the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, b-bird’s the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, well the bird is the word
A-well-a bird, bird, b-bird’s the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, b-bird’s the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, well the bird is the word
A-well-a bird, bird, b-bird’s the word
A-well-a don’t you know about the bird?
Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word!
A-well-a bird, bird, b-bird’s the word
A-well-a…

A-well-a everybody’s heard about the bird
Bird, bird, bird, b-bird’s the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, b-bird’s the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, b-bird’s the word
A-well-a bird, bird, b-bird’s the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, b-bird’s the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, b-bird’s the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, b-bird’s the word
A-well-a bird, bird, bird, b-bird’s the word
A-well-a don’t you know about the bird?
Well, everybody’s talking about the bird!
A-well-a bird, bird, b-bird’s the word
A-well-a bird…

Surfin’ bird
Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb… [retching noises]… aaah!

Pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-p a-pa-pa-

Papa-ooma-mow-mow, ooma-mow-mow
Papa-ooma-mow-mow, ooma-mow-mow
Papa-oom-oom-oom-oom-ooma-mow-mow
Oom-oom-oom-oom-ooma-mow-mow
Ooma-mow-mow, papa-ooma-mow-mow
Papa-ooma-mow-mow, ooma-mow-mow
Well don’t you know about the bird?
Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word!
A-well-a bird, bird, b-bird’s the word

Papa-ooma-mow-mow, papa-ooma-mow-mow
[repeat to fade]

comments

1. Cindy Scroggins on February 20th, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Lordy, girl–that’s what we need on a good Friday afternoon!

2. Rick Neece on February 20th, 2009 at 5:24 pm

I’m down to doo-wop for Deron-in-the-White-Bath-Robe. Any else down to doo-wop too?

3. Lucy Foley on February 20th, 2009 at 5:52 pm

Man, I just got hip to the bird now! Where the hell have I been?

4. Sheila Ryan on February 20th, 2009 at 6:05 pm

Used-to-be I worked at the Chicago Historical Society (now the Chicago History Museum), and once a week we’d play informal softball games against other ‘cultural institutions’ . I recall one afternoon when a CHS staff photographer intimidated the hell out of a wimpy pitcher from the Newberry Library by cranking up “Surfing Bird” on a boombox just as big ol’ guy from our team stepped up to the plate. We girls on the sidelines added to the distraction by doing the hully-gully.

5. Lucy Foley on February 20th, 2009 at 6:12 pm

That softball team sounds like a superorganism to me.

6. Sheila Ryan on February 20th, 2009 at 6:33 pm

Oh, Lucy, it was. Curators, conservation technicians, security guards, you name it — all acting as one.

We knocked the stuffing out of the stratified, hierarchically organized wuss teams.

7. Sheila Ryan on February 20th, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Surfin’ bird/Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb… [retching noises]… aaah!

That’ll get ‘em every time. Count on it.

8. Cooper Renner on February 20th, 2009 at 7:20 pm

When I work up my Ivor version, it will say, “Nerd‘s the word.”

9. Sheila Ryan on February 20th, 2009 at 8:35 pm

Do phone me and leave it m my voicemail.

10. Sheila Ryan on February 20th, 2009 at 9:40 pm

Whoa. Accidental overlap. I swear. “Surfin’ Bird” and Robyn Hitchcock’s “Acid Bird”. Phwoar.

11. Phil Bebbington on February 21st, 2009 at 8:30 am

Damn, why have I never heard this? Where have I been? Oh, I remember – anyway, I’m back, but not sure when to sleep.

12. Sheila Ryan on February 21st, 2009 at 8:41 am

You been eight miles high or something, dude?

13. Sheila Ryan on February 21st, 2009 at 8:44 am

Oh. Rick? I am so down to doo-wop. Come clusterflockstock, wanna hear some street-corner harmonies from you and other ‘flockers who can carry a tune.

14. Lucy Foley on February 21st, 2009 at 8:47 am

A suggestion: Shirtless, balancing a wheel on your forehead, spinning. Somebody start practising this now, please. There’s a kid on Decatur street in NOLA who will apprentice you, for the right money.

15. Phil Bebbington on February 21st, 2009 at 8:58 am

Lucy, I’d have to pass on shirtless, it really isn’t a good look for me. I will though practice the balancing of a spinning wheel on my forehead as soon as I find one.

16. Lucy Foley on February 21st, 2009 at 9:00 am

Ok. It’s got to be a bicycle wheel, with metal spokes. A proper racer wheel, none of that mountain bike nonsense. We’re looking for speed and accuracy, Phil. Well if you forego the shirtless, you’ve got to get some kind of a bloody good costume to compensate. We’re a tough crowd, Phil.

17. Phil Bebbington on February 21st, 2009 at 9:05 am

You are a tough crowd – hey, be gentle with me I’m lagged and pondering a costume – Mmmmm thin rimmed racing wheel eh, well, that should be easier to manage than a bloody mountain bike wheel anyway!