June 7, 2010

Texas Figs

And this is not the largest. The tree growing on both sides of the fence between my neighbor’s yard and mine is filled with figs. Birds and squirrels get most of them but I still get some. Here’s a recipe for a savory dessert:

Cut large figs in half, soak them in red wine, and grill them. Top with a fluffed mix of equal parts goat cheese and mascarpone. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts.

comments

1. Daryl Scroggins on June 7th, 2010 at 3:53 pm

I started to add Podcast as a category.

2. Cindy Scroggins on June 7th, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Do we need a balls category?

3. Michael Smith on June 7th, 2010 at 3:55 pm

That fig must be almost 40 pounds!

4. Phil Bebbington on June 7th, 2010 at 3:57 pm

I’m surprised that Balls isn’t a category – Admins, please fix, pronto!

Daryl, that is a beast. I adore figs and a two line recipe is right up my back alley, so long as that is not seen as some kind of harassment!

5. Deron Bauman on June 7th, 2010 at 3:58 pm

how big is that quarter?

6. Phil Bebbington on June 7th, 2010 at 4:02 pm

I reckon it’s a photoshopped Dollar!

7. Daryl Scroggins on June 7th, 2010 at 4:03 pm

I’m going to get me a quarter that’s the size of a dime to use in the garden. Also maybe I’ll snatch a newspaper from a dollhouse table for use when I go fishing.

8. Cindy Scroggins on June 7th, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Wait–I’m still laughing at how big is that quarter. Y’all gotta slow down.

9. Lucy on June 7th, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Did you employ a fluffer for the goat’s cheese? I know the best goat’s cheese can be very particular about their work. Mascarpone usually doesn’t care what fluffs it, of course.

10. Daryl Scroggins on June 7th, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Lucy–sad to say, I don’t have a fluffer. I just have a wire whisk. It worked well though, perhaps because the mascarpone lightened things up a bit so the cheese didn’t just hide in the center of the instrument.

11. Lucy on June 7th, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Wire whisk, eh? Classy. Glad your mascarpone’s got a sense of humour.

12. Daryl Scroggins on June 7th, 2010 at 5:55 pm

Mexican mascarpone.

13. Sheila Ryan on June 7th, 2010 at 5:59 pm

“The cheese didn’t just hide in the center of the instrument.” That’s good. Though it can be fun if your imagination is perverse.

14. Cece on June 7th, 2010 at 6:04 pm

You and your birds/squirrels are so lucky! Those figs, if mine, would not make it into the wine soak, etc. Sigh.

15. Daryl Scroggins on June 7th, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Cece–well…I don’t actually often make the grilled figs; I usually pull them off the tree and peel them when Mia is in the garden with me, and we eat them there in the heat and laugh. It’s such a green taste (as you surely know). One that tells us just how the summer is bigger than we are.

16. Cece on June 7th, 2010 at 7:17 pm

I can just see that, Daryl. “This is how big summer is” — handing over a peeled fig. Perfect perfect perfect.

17. Robin Lane on June 8th, 2010 at 6:44 am

Sounds delicious! We do something similar with grilled peaches, balsamic vinegar and crumbled blue cheese. I know it sounds odd, but the combination of flavors is ama-za-zing.

18. Lauren Stephenson on June 8th, 2010 at 8:20 am

Daryl, I want your plumpy figs. I mean that in the most honorable way possible.

19. Daryl Scroggins on June 8th, 2010 at 8:24 am

Robin–Yes, that is a great combination of flavors, isn’t it? The sweet and sour and smoky. Have you noticed how hard it is anymore to find a peach that really tastes like a peach? I think they have all been modified for less bruising and a longer shelf life–and they taste like packing materials. I remember when ripe peaches on a neighborhood tree would fill the whole neighborhood with fragrance. Bite into one and it drips down your chin. I guess that taste went the way of roses that have a smell! I still have some old roses that do smell real good. They make rose hips, too, that turn dark orange in the fall.

20. Daryl Scroggins on June 8th, 2010 at 8:29 am

Lauren–I haven’t tried drying any of them, or making fig preserves of them, but if I do I’ll send you some. I also have a huge crop of pomegranates this year; the squirrels have been slow to start sampling them this time around so maybe I’ll get some. It helps that the cats have taken to sleeping on the shed roof beside the tree.

21. Cindy Scroggins on June 8th, 2010 at 8:29 am

Lauren, if you were closer, you could have some of Daryl’s plumpy figs with my blessing!

I’m weird about figs. They’re the one fruit that I don’t enjoy straight–they’re just too sweet for me. I like a bit of fig in an orange or lime marmalade, and I’ll eat a dried fig occasionally to get at those wonderfully crunchy seeds, but a fresh fig–meh. What I do love is peeling them. Any of y’all want someone to peel your figs, I’m your man.

22. Daryl Scroggins on June 8th, 2010 at 8:31 am

uh….Hi!

23. Cindy Scroggins on June 8th, 2010 at 8:32 am

Hi, Daryl. We’re the same.

I added a gardening category for you. I also added balls, for all of us.

24. Lauren Stephenson on June 8th, 2010 at 8:39 am

Daryl! Cindy! You are too delightful.

25. Lucy on June 8th, 2010 at 1:49 pm

I love fresh figs. I discovered them in Copenhagen, where I would buy them from the Syrians and the Lebanese who would regale me with stories of how fresh figs tasted back at home. I get excited when I think about fresh figs. I don’t think any other fruit actually excites me like this.

26. Daryl Scroggins on June 8th, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Here’s a lovely poem by Naomi Shihab Nye–”My Father and the Figtree” It even features a figtree in Dallas, TX!

27. Lucy on June 8th, 2010 at 4:37 pm