July 22, 2010

Pasadena Museum of California Art’s Design Biennial

From a Brooke Hodge post at The New York Times Style Magazine:

In the past two years, most news out of California has been dire, from the state’s tanking economy to rising unemployment and drastic cuts to education. The Golden State has long been recognized as a locus of creativity and innovation and, as the Pasadena Museum of California Art’s Design Biennial shows, it takes more than a little recession to dampen designers’ spirits. In fact, innovation and experimentation often thrive in hard times.

comments

1. Cindy Scroggins on July 22nd, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Thank you for posting this. I generally can’t abide art or design that attempts to overtly illustrate a particular point or theme. In this case, though, that is the very basis of the competition–and it seems to work.

What I’m trying to say is, I like this.

2. MontanaJen on July 22nd, 2010 at 4:14 pm

I love this so much I just called the Pasadena Museum to inquire about purchase options. The artist is Amy Martin, based in LA. Posters are available for purchase for only $30. To purchase, according to her website (http://design-book.blogspot.com/) just email her at amykatemartin at gmail dot com.

I swear I hadn’t heard of Ms. Martin before 10 minutes ago, so this plug won’t help me in any way*.

*I mean, it will when I get the poster and hang it up and everyone who sees it will get it and like the Public Option, and then eventually enough people will see it that we will start voting for people who will vote for a Public Option, and then my insurance rates will go down because of the increased competition in the marketplace, and then I will be able to live part time in Costa Rica. So I guess I am getting something out of the plug, but only in a roundabout way, so it doesn’t count.

3. Amanda Mae Meyncke on July 22nd, 2010 at 5:55 pm

I live next to Pasadena. I will go to this museum.

4. Deron Bauman on July 22nd, 2010 at 6:08 pm

did Brooke Hodge post this?

5. juju pongo on July 23rd, 2010 at 11:37 am

nope.
    ju ju p. posted but thanks whoever was behind the scenes who added a title and introdcutory “from a brooke hodge post” mention on the post

6. Deron Bauman on July 23rd, 2010 at 11:41 am

you bet. thanks for the post.