September 17, 2010

build your bike

I want to go to the Bamboo Bike Studio and build my own bike.

Build your own bike in two days at our workshop in Brooklyn or San Francisco.

We supply all tools and materials, and as much – or as little – help as you need.

We don’t assume any prior experience, but a strong work ethic and an appetite for the unfamiliar is essential.

You can also order a kit, source your own bamboo and build it at home.

via coudal

comments

1. Andrew Simone on September 17th, 2010 at 11:07 am

awesome!

2. Michael Smith on September 17th, 2010 at 12:03 pm

If 946 people give me $1 I’ll totally do it.

Or, maybe I’ll write those folks an email and ask if I can just go watch other people build bikes and take pictures and post about it here.

3. Carole Corlew on September 17th, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Michael, my son has a friend who started “working” at a bike shop at 14. He just has this natural ability/talent and they kept asking him. He’s 16 now. But imagine walking into a shop with your super expensive French racer or whatever and being referred to a 14-year-old. He’s the one who rebuilds bikes, etc. How weird is that?

4. Sheila Ryan on September 17th, 2010 at 3:51 pm

It’s weird, Carole, but I know a guy who knows a guy who did astonishing shit — with cars! — at fourteen. By sixteen he had quit school and was building his own cars and racing.

His dad ran a Chicago design firm.

5. Carole Corlew on September 17th, 2010 at 3:56 pm

I know, it makes you wonder about the karmic thing. This boy’s father is a lawyer and his mother some kind of statistics wizard. No one taught him. It was like he was born knowing how to do it. The funny thing is he doesn’t even like it very much. He’s rather be out throwing a football or running or something. But people are always bugging him to help/rebuild/build a bike.

6. Michael Smith on September 17th, 2010 at 3:58 pm

It’s weird, but really, most of the guys you hand your bike off too in a bike shop can make you, at least in some ways, a little nervous. In my opinion, better a 14 year-old than the 50 year-old bearded dude who just smoked a massive bowl and keeps saying things like, “dial it in.”

7. Michael Smith on September 17th, 2010 at 4:00 pm

Also, I’m not the least bit mechanical which is why I want to go to the workshop and buid the bike instead of having them send me the parts I need.

8. Sheila Ryan on September 17th, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Oh, yeah, Michael. I’d trust the kid way before the bowl-smoking bearded dude.

9. Sheila Ryan on September 17th, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Aw, I bet you’d discover that “not the least bit mechanical” is just a story you’ve been telling yourself. Seriously.

10. Carole Corlew on September 17th, 2010 at 4:11 pm

That makes sense now. The 50-year-olds are off in the alley enjoying their bowls while the 14-year-old is fixing the bikes. Got it. That’s brilliant, btw.

I haven’t had a bike in more than 20 years, since the little white Belgian number that fit me perfectly disappeared over the back fence in the hands of a man who had snapped it off the porch wall and my “thief-proof lock” mechanisms with bolt cutters. I stood on the deck and yelled “Hey stop that’s my bike.” He threw me a bored look, calmly lowered the bike to the ground and climbed over. And they were gone.

11. Sheila Ryan on September 17th, 2010 at 4:16 pm

That’s a bad man. I’ll look for him and your bike tonight when I’m out in the dark, wandering the wilderness hollering for my darn cat.

12. Carole Corlew on September 17th, 2010 at 5:16 pm

He was very rude and I am still mad at him. But tell him he can have the bike in exchange for the cat. In the universe of branes this makes sense.

13. Sheila Ryan on September 17th, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Fair trade.

14. Kelsey Parker on September 17th, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Michael, if you want to document the thing, I’ve got a place you can camp out most nights.

15. Sheila Ryan on September 17th, 2010 at 6:30 pm

I would love to watch Michael build a bike.

16. Michael Smith on September 17th, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Kelsey, if I get the chance to do this I might take you up on that offer.

Sheila, I have a camera that would work for a nice timelapse of me building the bike. The only thing is you wouldn’t get to hear me swearing. Maybe Deron could fly out and film the whole thing.

17. matt on September 17th, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Funny, I was actually just reading about a high school kid that was touring on a bamboo bike and loved it way more than the touring bike he’d been riding before (don’t remember what he was riding though…). Michael, it’d be awesome if you at least got to visit and watch; I’d love to hear about how people think the bamboo bikes compare, why they chose to try it, etc.