November 16, 2010

from the comments — The Book

So, for the past month or two, I’ve been working on a project to commemorate the five-year anniversary of clusterflock. I wanted a way to capture and present a little of the history of the site, what has happened here, since we first came online. Every once in a while someone would say, you should do a best of clusterflock book. The idea of that excited me, and also was overwhelming — how would I, or anyone, jump into the archive and sort through the posts and come up with anything that approximated anything?

One day, though, it occurred to me — a from the comments book — a brief snapshot of some of the conversations and observations that get started here. We always joke about coming for the posts, and staying for the comments, and the more I thought about it, the better it felt to have some of those comments speak for themselves.

So, that is what I have done. I have culled through the from the comments posts — the from the comments theme really only got started about three years ago — and, with some minor editing, have made a book out of them:

The books are hand-made, and I have to say, I’m pretty pleased with how they turned out. It’s been a while since I made a book, and I quickly remembered the details and decisions and labor involved, but the truth is, I love it, the process, the final product. I think it turned out well. (A quick note of thanks to Aaron, who helped think through the design, Sheila, who proof-read the text, and Amy for thousands of moments of encouragement and support.)

I’ll be sending a copy to each clusterflocker as a small sign of the appreciation I have for what we have created here. The book, the site, none of this, would be possible without the involvement of all who post and comment and pay attention. I am glad to have you. I hope you enjoy the book.

Details:
Price: $15.95
Shipping: $3.00
Pages: 119

comments

1. Sheila Ryan on November 16th, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Y’all, I’ve read this a couple of times. It’s really really really really really really good.

Comment jazz at its best.

Deron did a fantastic job in terms of conception, and I am sure the execution is equally fine.

And y’all made it happen, too. All y’all.

2. Cindy Scroggins on November 16th, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Deron. Wow.

3. Carole Corlew on November 16th, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I LOVELOVELOVE that cover!

4. Sheila Ryan on November 16th, 2010 at 3:49 pm

It’s flaming brilliant, the way the thing reads. Y’all gonna love it.

Deron is our sugar boy.

5. Deron Bauman on November 16th, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Ah, now.

6. Sheila Ryan on November 16th, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Fixing to make the zhoo-zhoo-zhoo sound I made to Rick’s cat, Charlie.

Sugar boy.

7. Carole Corlew on November 16th, 2010 at 4:08 pm

That’s right. Deron and Levi are both sugar boy babies.

8. Deron Bauman on November 16th, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Ouch.

9. Sheila Ryan on November 16th, 2010 at 4:14 pm

Deron is a big boy, and he can make books.

Levi will get there — or wherever it is he will want to get. Make what he wants to make.

10. Sheila Ryan on November 16th, 2010 at 4:15 pm

We’re just lovin’ on you, Deron, me and Carole. I know it’s embarrassing. But it’s nothing you can do.

11. Carole Corlew on November 16th, 2010 at 4:17 pm

It’s gonna get a lot worse in fact.

12. Cindy Scroggins on November 16th, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Hey, Deron–how bout them Cowboys?

13. Carole Corlew on November 16th, 2010 at 4:20 pm

A feint, Shelia.

14. Sheila Ryan on November 16th, 2010 at 4:23 pm

When I say uddha-buddha and pinch his cheek, he’s gonna get That Look on his face.

15. Deron Bauman on November 16th, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Red Headed Jesus!

16. Lucy Foley on November 16th, 2010 at 4:25 pm

This is great! I’m really excited to see it. Huge project, Deron. How long were you working on it?

17. Carole Corlew on November 16th, 2010 at 4:27 pm

It’s okay, baby doll. Hug it out.

18. Joel Bernstein on November 16th, 2010 at 4:28 pm

This book will most deeply, really fulfill you.

19. Sheila Ryan on November 16th, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Perhaps book will sell on Russian marriage site.

20. Kelsey Parker on November 16th, 2010 at 4:33 pm

I’m in awe of your perseverance and handiwork, Deron. Filled to the brim with admiration and gratitude! Being a part of your life fulfills me in ways I never could have imagined.

21. Phil Bebbington on November 16th, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Deron, it looks so beautiful. Add to that the way you care about shit and well!

Lost for words really.

22. Carole Corlew on November 16th, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Shelia, that’s better even than your cotillion remark.

Which is what Sheila said when I told her I had dragged my son to Virginia cotillion when he was little. And he had forgotten every little step of the waltz ever taught him, like a trauma survivor. And she wrote back “Cotillion chain gang.”

She is funny.

23. Deron Bauman on November 16th, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Cotillion chain gang!

Thanks, y’all. I had a hell of a time putting it together — in all ways implied. I’m really glad to see it anticipated. I’ll be putting together copies over the next few days, then sending them out. Right now, I’m just letting myself breathe.

Lucy, I think I’ve been at it the better part of a month or so.

24. Aaron Winslow on November 16th, 2010 at 5:19 pm

You are a hero.

25. Rick Neece on November 16th, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Deron. Thank you. Can’t wait to see it.

It has been my great pleasure to hang out with you and all these others I’ve come to know through your venture here. (Thanks too, to Cooper, who pointed me this direction, some three-and-a-half years ago.)

This is an amazing thing you’ve wrought.

26. Deron Bauman on November 16th, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Thank you, Rick. My pleasure. And Kelsey, I feel I need to say a further thank you.

27. Mary Jeys on November 16th, 2010 at 6:48 pm

Deron, we are very lucky to know you. Thank you.

28. Deron Bauman on November 16th, 2010 at 6:50 pm

Oh, sweet Mary.

29. Michael Smith on November 16th, 2010 at 8:37 pm

I love it, Deron!

Also, I love and miss you all. A routine is forming here I’ll be back (more regularly) soon.

30. Deron Bauman on November 16th, 2010 at 9:00 pm

We miss you too, Michael. I’m glad a routine is forming.

31. Michael Smith on November 16th, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Well as much of a routine as possible when having to wake up every 2 hours at night. I’m off work until 1/24 though, so I’m not complaining. Somebody thank Lester for me.

32. Coop on November 16th, 2010 at 9:51 pm

It’s very lovely.

33. Andrew Simone on November 17th, 2010 at 6:21 am

This looks really fine, Deron. I’m very excited.

34. Cindy Scroggins on November 17th, 2010 at 10:04 am

Thank Lester? Thank Lester? You should be thanking me, Smith. I’m doing your work while you’re off breastfeeding.

35. Clusterflock’s “From the Comments” Book on November 17th, 2010 at 8:49 pm

[...] over at Clusterflock, has put together this beautiful book, which is a collection of the site’s “from the comments” posts.  Anyone who has [...]

36. ftc — the book — progress report | clusterflock on November 17th, 2010 at 10:00 pm

[...] expired registrations, cease and desist letters, and — what else? — I finally got what I wanted to do this morning taken care [...]

37. Josh Weichhand on November 17th, 2010 at 10:29 pm

This is absolutely brilliant. Thank you, Deron.

38. Deron Bauman on November 17th, 2010 at 10:33 pm

Thank you, Josh. I appreciate that.

39. amae on November 19th, 2010 at 12:37 am

I’m on a weeklong filmshoot, lying exhausted in bed after my third 18 – 20 hour day, reading and posting on my phone and I am so excited for this.

40. Cindy Scroggins on November 20th, 2010 at 8:17 pm

I just finished reading this from cover to cover. It is a beautiful book in every way. I am surprised by how well it works as something independent of the site–it is, honestly, the best thing I have read in quite some time. I’m placing an order for multiple copies to give as gifts.

Thank you, Deron.

41. Sheila Ryan on November 20th, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Isn’t it the best? Read it straight through. Deron has done a wonderful job right from the git-go and through the conception and execution of this book.

42. Cindy Scroggins on November 20th, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Yes–it is perfect in every respect. It is an honor to be a part of it.

43. Deron Bauman on November 20th, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Thank you. I put copies in the mail today to everyone who sent me their address. They should be arriving shortly. I hope people will let me know the condition they arrive in. I mailed them in bubble mailers; I hope that is enough to keep them in good shape.

44. Sheila Ryan on November 20th, 2010 at 8:50 pm

I am fixing to order copies for gift-giving, too, Cindy.

45. Coop on November 22nd, 2010 at 9:12 pm

My copy arrived today! What a beauty. I am so pleased to be included. Thank you, Deron.

46. Coop on November 22nd, 2010 at 9:12 pm

PS: I put up an announcement at elimae.

47. Sheila Ryan on November 22nd, 2010 at 9:14 pm

So excited. I went to the PO today, but I reckon the book’ll arrive tomorrow

48. Deron Bauman on November 22nd, 2010 at 9:34 pm

My pleasure. Thanks for the announcement. Did the book arrive in good shape?

49. Amanda Mae Meyncke on November 24th, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Mine just got here, it was waiting for me when I got dropped off. I cried.

50. Michael Smith on November 24th, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Mine arrived today. A slight crease down the spine, but, to be fair to the USPS, I might have done that in my excitement to get it out of the envelope. Deron, it looks better than I imagined, thank you.

If we were having thanksgiving with people who didn’t know me so well I would randomly recite passages from the book as if I’d just thought of them.

51. Deron Bauman on November 24th, 2010 at 9:25 pm

The kitchen feeds the toilet.

52. Rick Neece on November 24th, 2010 at 10:18 pm

Deron, this giant’s in Illinois. I will let you know how it arrived when I get home. (Gosh, I’d nearly get in the car right now and drive ten hours with turkey dinner tomorrow un-et, to see it. Airline tickets Friday notwithstanding.)

Would y’all find it corny for me to say I love y’all, I’m thankful for y’all? Because I do, I am, for real.

53. Deron Bauman on November 24th, 2010 at 10:21 pm

I love you, too, Rick, and am thankful for you as well.

I’ll drive you a copy.

54. Rick Neece on November 24th, 2010 at 10:27 pm

Deron.

55. Deron Bauman on November 24th, 2010 at 10:30 pm

On my way!

56. Michael Smith on November 24th, 2010 at 11:38 pm

Reading through the book my mom just told a story that ended with the phrase, “imagine that in urine!”

57. Carole Corlew on November 25th, 2010 at 8:04 am

I am Cece come lately to Clusterflock and The Book is allowing me to catch up on the conversation I missed before. I’ll be laughing one minute, amazed the next, then suddenly I stumble across my own name. I’m there!

It is beyond a thrill.

58. Kelsey Parker on November 27th, 2010 at 9:43 am

My copy was waiting for me in the mailbox when I got home from that midnight shift before Thanksgiving, so I didn’t rip into the package until yesterday morning. I wanted the space. It didn’t survive the padded mailer on either end of the spine, but all that matters to me is the depth and connection I feel from every page inside. Thank you, Deron! This book is art and, for me, a timeless treasure. Flockers, you are loved. Family.