December 30, 2010

Meditation

A mind is a tone. What we know is known in rhythm or it is not known. We hold music we have not yet heard, and the sound of what we will do is here now. That bird outside, now, is the one Wallace Stevens wrote about near the end of his life. Do I know this because the bird is here now, or because I read Wallace Stevens and heard it in this way? Lanes descending at my feet as I cross the day.

Now somebody is using a leafblower just down the street, and I think:

Western wind, when wilt thou blow,
The small rains down can rain?
Christ, if my love were in my arms
And I in my bed again!

(Anonymous, ca. 1300)

I think of this poem almost every time I open a window in winter.

Cindy is napping on the couch in this break between years, and I am reading and writing and listening to her breathing. Pen scratch on paper–bird on the sill. Sometimes everything that has ever been seems so close.

comments

1. walt on December 30th, 2010 at 12:50 pm

few sounds as sweet as listening to the one you love making quiet noise in their sleep.

2. Robert Ledgerwood on December 30th, 2010 at 12:52 pm

Agreed.

3. Amy Mabli on December 30th, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Beautiful image, Daryl. Love to you and Cindy.

4. Carole Corlew on December 30th, 2010 at 12:56 pm

I am in love with this post. Beautiful, D.

5. Daryl Scroggins on December 30th, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Thank you, dear friends. To cluster is to feel a constant embrace.

6. Aaron Winslow on December 30th, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Consider yourselves embraced.

7. Deron Bauman on December 30th, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Thank you, Daryl.

8. Sheila Ryan on December 30th, 2010 at 2:01 pm

What Deron said.

9. Rick Neece on December 30th, 2010 at 6:08 pm

I love you Daryl Scroggins. I love all y’all.

We went down to Fayetteville (AR) yesterday morning, spent the day with my immediate family. The Nephews and Niece-in-law live there (where they all work in the same WalMart Pharmacy and attend UofA–Go Hogs!). My Sister and Brother-in-law, came in and Mom and Dad, from Pocahontas. Went out to eat lunch, then came back to Andrew’s and Brittany’s to visit, play Mexican Train, eat sweets. Then about 5:30 started talking about supper (Mom’s diabetic, Daddy’s having dizzy spells, he just got over a bout with the flu or something, had probably over-extended with the travel so soon after.) Got to Olive Garden and had a half-hour wait. The waiter brought wine as a suggestion, Mom waved him off, then he continued to try to sell it until Mom said, “We don’t drink it.” (I’m pretty sure there were seven of us at the table wouldn’t have minded a “hit.”)

Still a lovely time with the family. I got up and met Mom and Daddy in the breakfast bar and chatted about an hour while Danny took his time getting ready to meet everyone at the iHop down the block. Danny and I came home after breakfast.

Tomorrow, we start the annual movie marathon at Noon. This year’s theme? Blockbusters. From Gone With the Wind to Avatar (If I have that right, chronologically.)

For the first one, I mean. There might be one older, Giant?

Now, I’m off upstairs to put on my party frock, we’re going to Kristopher’s for his holiday party up at Weatherby Lake. No worries, y’all. It’ll be a relatively early evening, and I’m not driving.

10. Rick Neece on December 30th, 2010 at 6:11 pm

Oh, and I bought my first discounted meal at the iHop for those 55+. I said, “I’d better get my affairs in order.”

11. Sheila Ryan on December 30th, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Rick, my love, you just made me laugh. You hit on the tipping point between my vanity and my penury. So far my vanity trumps my penury, but that probably just means that my folly is triumphant.

12. Sheila Ryan on December 30th, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Oh, and it’s shaping up to be a wild weekend. Leather-jacketed dudes who look to be Russian-American Mafiosi just moved into the day-tripping rental townhouse next door for the New Year’s weekend.

There is already a great deal of stomping and banging. I think they’ve got a bear in there and that they’ve already gotten it drunk.

13. Sheila Ryan on December 30th, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Whew, the Russians are rockin’, and I can hear ‘em and that’s no lie!

14. Carole Corlew on December 30th, 2010 at 7:53 pm

I think I may have one at the end of the street, Shelia. He lives in the biggest, most beautiful house in the neighborhood. He was cool to us. Then I was walking by one day and asked, “How old are your fig trees?” He was surprised and gave me some tests, what is this, that, and the other and I identified most of his plants. He is a fanatic gardener. He said, “Ah, you are country girl.” I introduced myself. He hesitated, stuck out his hand to shake and said, “I am Greg” in a heavy accent that the Iowan insists is Russian. I am guessing his name is not necessarily “Greg.”

15. Elizabeth Perry on December 30th, 2010 at 11:15 pm

Ahhh…. What a beautiful place to be right now.

Thank you all.

16. Rick Neece on December 30th, 2010 at 11:31 pm

There is a place in my heart I hold for you Ms. Perry. Be well and prosper. My true wish for you, 2011. Bring it girl, you own it already.
    XOR