February 8, 2011

The Order of Myths

A film by Margaret Brown. Trailer:

The whole film’s available for instant play on Netflix, or to rent or purchase from iTunes.

(Via SC.)

comments

1. Deron Bauman on February 8th, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Thank you.

2. Carole Corlew on February 8th, 2011 at 10:12 pm

This made me cry.

3. Andrew Simone on February 9th, 2011 at 12:55 am

This is a thing.

4. Andrew Simone on February 9th, 2011 at 1:15 am

It’s the last scene that makes it. The very last.

5. Sheila Ryan on February 9th, 2011 at 7:57 am

“The ancestors, they’re not dead. They’re right here today. Can’t you feel them?”

6. SC on February 9th, 2011 at 1:21 pm

My father lives in Mobile. I recently had this conversation with him

SC: Dad, I saw that movie, The Order of Myths, about Mobile Mardi Gras. You might enjoy it. I learned some things.

Dad: I haven’t seen that but I’ve heard something about it. It’s some kinda racial incident that happens in the movie. I forget what but it’s a racial movie, right? People around here weren’t too happy with that movie.

SC: Hmmmm. I don’t want to give away the plot but, um, Dad, how many Mardis Gras are there in Mobile?

Dad: What do you mean how many Mardis Gras? There’s no problem with race in Mobile. We just have Mardis Gras. Everyone has Mardis Gras. I can’t remember what the racial incident was in that movie but that racial business is why people here didn’t like it.

SC: Dad, How many Mardis Gras parades are there in Mobile?

Dad: Well, there’s two, the black one and the white one.

SC: Dad, How many Mardis Gras Kings, Queens, and Balls are there in Mobile?

Dad: Well, there’s a black king and queen and a white king and queen and there are black and white balls for them.

SC: So, Dad, do you think a documentary about Mardis Gras in Mobile might include some “racial business”?