April 8, 2011

Fuck You. Pay Me.

Mike Monteiro of Mule Design talks about why you should use contracts for creative consulting work.

It’s about a half hour long, but you can easily just tab out and listen. He also wrote a companion piece.

comments

1. Dave Vogt on April 8th, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Something about him gives the impression that he’s wearing a yarmulke.

2. Cindy Scroggins on April 8th, 2011 at 3:28 pm

That’s a nice shade of green.

3. Dave Vogt on April 8th, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Having now listened to the entire thing, this sounds like phenomenal advice for anyone providing contract-based work, whether it be a designer, a programming firm, or a carpenter.

4. andrea on April 8th, 2011 at 9:15 pm

This could not be more timely for me, as I’ve just had a client “go rogue.”

It reminds me of a bit of verse that my dear departed friend Leslie Harpold — also a good friend of Mike Monteiro’s — was fond of reciting to me:

Roses are red,
    Violets are blue,
    Pay my ass.

5. andrea on April 8th, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Sippey commented about Twitter. Ha!

6. Sheila Ryan on April 8th, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Wow. There are freelancers and consultants and contractors working without contracts? Or without even some form of legal boilerplate?

Well, yes, of course I know that there are. And I hope this reaches them.

I’ve written some not-so-solid contracts in my time, true (though I’ve learned to make them better — and to get legal counsel), but working without a contract in place is something I just don’t do.

7. Andrew Simone on April 8th, 2011 at 11:41 pm

I’ll be honest, I’ve done it but never for a project that would take more than three days (i.e., small stuff for friends and such). It’s not a good idea, but there it is.

8. andrea on April 9th, 2011 at 7:05 am

Generally speaking, I submit proposals that spell out what I’m going to do, which clients then agree to in writing. That’s a legally binding “contract” but it doesn’t really offer enough protection in the event of contingencies. I do ok, but after watching this I think I’m going to tighten up.