August 12, 2011

twenty common insect songs

Lucy linked to this beautiful collection of twenty insect songs from Twitter where she asked which one is your favorite. Except she spelled favorite with with a u because she’s European.

comments

1. Cindy Scroggins on August 12th, 2011 at 10:19 am

Oh, I love this! My sound at work is horrible, so I’ll have to listen from home tonight. I expect I’ll end up going with one of the cicadas, but I need to zen out and really listen.

2. Sheila Ryan on August 12th, 2011 at 10:42 am

I’ve been wriggling with excitement over the prospect of listening to these. I’m on the Phone of Average IQ and, like Cindy, will have to wait till I’m at home and at my big girl ‘puter. I’m especially excited because night before last I was thinking about enlisting the help of cicadas and katydids in easing the chronic tinnitus that’s worsened dramatically over the past six months. Finding a frequency that’s close to what I hear and retraining myself. Cicada biofeedback.

3. Cindy Scroggins on August 12th, 2011 at 10:46 am

Cicada biofeedback. Yes.

I read recently about a breakthrough in tinnitus abatement. I need to find that.

4. Sing along with insects | FYPA.NET on August 12th, 2011 at 1:22 pm

[...] Clusterflock Tags / cicada / crickets / insects / Money Mark / music / recordings ← Adam [...]

5. Daryl Scroggins on August 12th, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Where’s that loudest of bugs that plays his penis?

6. Daryl Scroggins on August 12th, 2011 at 1:51 pm

I think I like the tone of the Allard’s Ground Cricket the best. The most intriguing, though, is the Dog-day Cicada. Right at the end of its call there’s a sound like a dog barking twice in the distance. Is that the bug making that sound or is it something the recorder picked up from the horizon? That Scissor-Grinder Cicada is the one we hear in the summer here.

7. Sheila Ryan on August 12th, 2011 at 2:07 pm

I’m torn between the black-legged meadow katydid (loud metallic clicks and trills) and the rattler round-winged katydid (a high swishy rattle). Leaning toward the rattler round-winged katydid.

8. Marco on August 12th, 2011 at 2:28 pm

Apparently I’ve lost a fair bit of my hearing range.

Played these all for wife. There were several where I complained, “Oh it doesn’t work” to which she replied “are you kidding! That’s the loudest one yet!”

I knew I’d lost something with this durned tinnitus but shit…

9. Sheila Ryan on August 12th, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Damn, Marco. Far as I know, I’ve not lost much in the way of hearing range, even after a horrendous incident six months ago that ramped up the tinnitus into a constant state. Still, for me there’s just this other frequency that’s always there, which I’ve pretty much trained myself to disregard but which I’d prefer were not there at all, as I hate the thought of never again experiencing silence.

Sounds as though you might want to consult an audiologist. Me, I just need to have my head examined.

“Sounds as though.” Ahem.

10. Michael Smith on August 12th, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I’ve been playing these at my desk intermittently throughout the day. It’s funny how people react to insect noises in the office.

11. Sheila Ryan on August 12th, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Do they scratch themselves or slap their skin lightly?

12. Cindy Scroggins on August 12th, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Mia’s favorite is the Northern Mole Cricket. My favorite is the Fall Field Cricket. I guess we’re cricket girls.

13. Marco on August 12th, 2011 at 8:33 pm

@Sheila I “hear” ya. Tinnitus both sucks and blows.