November 9, 2011

I was thinking about cats again

A former School of The Art Institute classmate, Stephen Eichhorn, is working on some cat collages. He showed up on my radar recently with yesterday’s The Fox is Black post.

comments

1. Sheila Ryan on November 9th, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I never could get cats to sit still when I tried to stick vegetation on them.

2. Sheila Ryan on November 9th, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Also, Sunday night I went out for Indian food with a couple of my Chicago friends and their long-time friend, an artist and faculty member at Boston’s School of the Museum of FIne Arts. The Bostonian was in town to do various things, among them review SAIC student portfolios. He says he was made to agree not to be “overly critical,” meaning that he was forbidden to make students cry.

Kids these days.

3. Erica Braverman on November 9th, 2011 at 3:15 pm

After a professor made me cry in a critique, I learned that it was her way of getting me to make better work. I regularly wonder if I’ve ever made a professor cry. Probably the one that inappropriately called me a bitch in a critique.

4. Sheila Ryan on November 9th, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I once died a most piteous and tragic onstage death, I thought, until I heard my drama teacher laughing and making no effort to conceal her laughter.

“That’s the funniest Edward G. Robinson impression I think I’ve ever seen,” she said once, she’d finished coughing.

Mother of Mercy, is this the end of Rico?

5. Rick Neece on November 9th, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Charlie will not sit still.

6. Rick Neece on November 9th, 2011 at 8:00 pm

‘Course the moon is full. He rarely sits still when the moon is full.

7. Rick Neece on November 9th, 2011 at 8:10 pm

I’m pretty sure Charlie’s not against vegetal adornment and photographment in most situations. Just tonight he’s feelin’ his Wheaties.

8. Sheila Ryan on November 9th, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Ummnh, Rick? I don’t think the moon is quite full tonight. But: close enough as scarce makes a difference.

And there is snow on the ground in the Driftless Region.

9. Erica Braverman on November 9th, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Y’all (including Charlie) need the drink I’m drinking right now. Well, Charlie gets a bowl of milk.

10. Sheila Ryan on November 9th, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Rick: “Charlie will not sit still” reminds me of the finale of Robert Lowell’s great poem, “Skunk Hour”:

I stand on top
    of our back steps and breathe the rich air–
    a mother skunk with her column of kittens swills the garbage pail.
    She jabs her wedge-head in a cup
    of sour cream, drops her ostrich tail,
    and will not scare.

(Erica: A cup of sour cream for Charlie?)

11. Rob Reid on November 10th, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Are these the nightmares of Chia Pets?