December 31, 2011

Go Bury Money, Like Now

I’m sharing a New Year’s tradition aimed at drawing wealth to you. I have no idea about its origins.

Take a bill or some coins and put the money in a plastic bag. The amount does not matter. Bury it outside your front door while saying, “I am burying my poverty.” Mark it with a stone or something you can find the next day. Seriously, people have not been able to find their buried money the next day. Do this on New Year’s Eve, before midnight. Then, on January 1, dig up the money while saying, “I am uncovering my wealth.” Do this anytime during the 24-hour period on New Year’s Day.

If you don’t have ground outside your door, not to worry, take a pot and bury your money there and place it outside your door or on the balcony. If that doesn’t work, take a bowl and cover the money with a wash cloth and put it beside the door. This is about symbolism and intent. Do not spend the money, ever. Put it away. Some say that if you spend the buried money, you’ll lose money.

If you follow these instructions, unexpected money will show up for you in the next year. Maybe because I believe, this always happens for me. Always. At least in the years the Iowan has not found, and spent, my buried money. I have heard about people who eventually have taken stacks of buried money and donated it to a good cause. For instance, they have donated it to a church or favorite charity and report all is well.

Or you could leave it tucked away in its individual sandwich bags in a hope chest or drawer. And laugh to think about what your heirs will think to find it.

comments

1. Sheila Ryan on December 31st, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Carole, that is way better than the things I have done on a few rare occasions in the hope of bringing down curses on people.

2. Sheila Ryan on December 31st, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Also, I am going to go do this now!

3. Sheila Ryan on December 31st, 2011 at 5:18 pm

I buried money outside my door just before the sun set over the western ridge.

This ritual reminds me of some of the vaudun/voodoo sacrifices I have read about — as, for instance, when you scatter corn meal to a particular loa (spirit) you wish to entreat, and it is not so much the material value of the sacrifice that matters so much as the intent.

4. Carole Corlew on December 31st, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Good for you, Shelia. I will remind tomorrow, just part of the service. People actually will forget to dig up their wealth. I heard about this one from southerners, but don’t know where it originated. Unlike eating greens and black eyed peas for luck and money after the stroke of midnight.

5. Sheila Ryan on December 31st, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Will greens and pinto beans be okay? That’s all I got.

6. Carole Corlew on December 31st, 2011 at 7:27 pm

Yes, you can just eat the pintos. Some say black-eyed peas are required, but the peas stand for coins and the greens are the dollar bills so you have your money covered. Plus, this is an old southern tradition that often involved Hoppin’ John — BEPs and rice. So, why would BEPs be specific if the greens are not? You can eat different things for the greens as long as you are eating some type of green leaf. So there you have it.

7. Sheila Ryan on December 31st, 2011 at 7:34 pm

I made pintos and rice with spinach!

8. Carole Corlew on December 31st, 2011 at 8:02 pm

You are covering all the bases, Shelia. We are marching down the field to abundance victory!

9. Sheila Ryan on December 31st, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Fixing to get rich!

10. Marco on January 1st, 2012 at 1:09 am

I’m always finding money in old coat pockets…

11. Carole Corlew on January 1st, 2012 at 8:01 am

Me too, Marco, but I don’t count that in the buried money loot.

12. Sheila Ryan on January 1st, 2012 at 10:14 am

After I’ve uncovered my wealth later today, I am going to seal it up and label it clearly!

13. Carole Corlew on January 1st, 2012 at 10:33 am

Don’t forget!

14. Sheila Ryan on January 1st, 2012 at 10:34 am

Last night I dreamed that a man knocked at the door on New Year’s Day, saying that he had a special delivery. It was a load of checks amounting to $700. Dream wealth!

15. Rick Neece on January 1st, 2012 at 11:47 am

Menu today. Roast beef sandwiches on home made crusty rolls. spinach and black-eye pea salad. Apple slaw. Flourless chocolate cake.

HP: Half-Blood Prince just starting.

16. Deron Bauman on January 1st, 2012 at 12:04 pm