January 24, 2012

dear clusterflock

How do I feel about this SOTU?

comments

1. Dave Vogt on January 24th, 2012 at 9:51 pm

If you re-watch it only imagine an old WASP at brunch. Just try it.

2. Deron Bauman on January 24th, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Man, that was depressing.

3. Rick Neece on January 24th, 2012 at 10:02 pm

I’ll say.

4. Rick Neece on January 24th, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Dave, I’ll watch the WASP’s talk on CNN in the morning. Then I’ll flip over to Fox to see what they have to say.

5. Rick Neece on January 24th, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Oh, wait, maybe it’ll be the WASP’s on Fox?

6. Deron Bauman on January 24th, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I can’t remember a more divided Congress, no sense of common language. I tried listening to the speech through a GOP talking point filter, and in that context it came out laughable. I think in that context, you’ve got to explain why the GOP assumptions are bullshit. The energy required to stand atop the shit these days is Herculean.

7. Rick Neece on January 24th, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Am I a WASP? Technically, yes. But I prefer the term “Hob-Goblin.”

8. Rick Neece on January 24th, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Deron, yes. Do you think it might be where we come to, when we have only two parties, split? It seems to me, the last couple three elections weren’t too far off of 50-50. No decisive win by either party. How could it not be devisive? But if a third party won, who would “really” win?

I don’t know. I don’t know. Ron Paul (or Santorum) really isn’t in the running, but what-the-hell would happen if he did? The idea scares the shit out of me.

I’ll vote Obama, no matter his competitor. Mitt is the least scary in my book.

9. Rick Neece on January 24th, 2012 at 10:21 pm

For Republicans running, I’m saying.

10. Rick Neece on January 24th, 2012 at 10:37 pm

And yes, again, Deron, where was the “GOP’s stance is bullshit” in the speech? Where was the “AHA?” As if people watching weren’t watching “Jerry Springer” instead of watching something that affects their daily lives?

I don’t know whether to leave that comment or delete it. Time will tell.

11. Deron Bauman on January 24th, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Rick, we’re living through a tremendous transition in American politics, in which the GOP is both dying and growing more volatile. They represent a smaller and smaller fraction of the populace, and so continue to nominate more and more extreme candidates. They are swallowing their own tail. Plus the ascent of Fox as the only conservative outlet — and the rest of the media adopting neutrality as a means of saying nothing — and well, I guess we’re living in a truly post-modern era. It mostly wears me out.