January 26, 2012

Von Trier’s Antichrist

I finally found the strength to look at it. I didn’t want to look for so long. Finally, I looked this afternoon. Anyone else seen it? Your take?

comments

1. Jon Williams on January 26th, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Looks like another blame-woman-for-the-fall-of-mankind piece, so, all-in-all, pretty conventional stuff.

2. Jon Williams on January 26th, 2012 at 7:49 pm

(note: I haven’t watched it. Probably won’t.)

3. Rick Neece on January 26th, 2012 at 7:56 pm

I’ll agree, Jon, perhaps “blame woman for the fall of man…”
    Such stories are conventional. Still, the delivery? You can’t answer until you see it.

4. Rick Neece on January 26th, 2012 at 7:58 pm

I’ll say this, it wasn’t easy to watch.

5. Deron Bauman on January 27th, 2012 at 12:53 am

Rick, I tried to watch it a few months ago and had to stop. I know part of it was my mental state at the time, and part of it was my impression of the value of the narrative. I don’t know if I’d have a different perspective of the film at this point, or if my assessment of its success would be the same.

6. Amanda Mae on January 27th, 2012 at 1:13 am

The world moves on a woman’s hips.

7. Rick Neece on January 27th, 2012 at 5:01 pm

You know? I can watch a movie for its vision, beauty. I’ll agree, Deron, I questioned the value of the narrative. I got lost and bored by the end.

And WTF was the stuff about the kid’s feet turned slightly wrongly (found out in an autopsy report)? And the father figuring out the mom had put their son’s shoes on the wrong feet for all [the kid's] short years?

I can’t help but come to the conclusion that the film is about grief and blaming, self and others for the loss of some(one)thing dear.

I’ll say this, the mystery was presented and unresolved, in my mind. Perhaps grief has no real resolve. May be it was Von Trier’s intent? I can’t/won’t watch it again.

8. Deron Bauman on January 27th, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I love Dogville so much, and The Five Obstructions. I hope Melancholia is good. I’ve been looking forward to that one.

9. Rick Neece on January 27th, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I thought Melancholia was brilliant. Aching and beautiful. Still, it is Von Trier’s.

10. Rick Neece on January 27th, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Questions left unanswered. But more universal? in my mind.

Don’t mind me, I’m babbling.

11. Deron Bauman on January 27th, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I look forward to it, then.

12. Rick Neece on January 27th, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Do tell your thoughts, after you see it.

13. romanchance on February 1st, 2012 at 10:14 am

I am thankful that once in a while someone creates art that does not just amuse but horrify. We all need to be pulled out of our happy thoughts from time to time, kicking and screaming if neccesary. If art doesn’t challenge us then it simply services us. I am as tired of empty, mundane film as much as I am tired of empty and mundane companionship. I may need a shower after this but I will also never be quite the same.