January 5, 2012

Winter Citrus, Revisited

This is a story about winter citrus. More specifically, it’s a story about finding a day to play in a photo studio, complete with beautiful props and gorgeous styling. It’s a story dedicated to free form (there are no recipes here!), to abundant light, to taking it slow and easy during the new year, but mostly it’s a story about bright happy little fruit that inspires me.

Warning: Article includes several images of citrus desserts that may not be suitable for Deron and other sensitive viewers.

comments

1. Cindy Scroggins on January 5th, 2012 at 11:41 am

What a beautiful article. Lovely photos. I love citrus of all kinds. The way citrus juice can brighten a dish. The smell of it on my skin.

2. Carole Corlew on January 6th, 2012 at 8:18 am

I make a very simple Madeleine with orange flower water that can be detected, just barely. It also has the grated peel of half a lemon, which cannot be tasted. You would never describe this Madeleine as a citrus dessert. But the lemon absolutely is required. When I leave it out, that bright taste is just not there, as Cindy makes a reference to in her comment. I don’t know another way to describe it.

3. Aaron Winslow on January 6th, 2012 at 8:37 am

Whenever I squeeze lemon or lime onto/into some food/beverage, I dab behind my ears with my citrus-y fingers.

4. Cindy Scroggins on January 6th, 2012 at 11:30 am

It’s true, isn’t it, Cece? Brightness is the only word. I made a black bean chili the other night and added lime juice at the very end. Just a bit, but it completely changed the flavor. It brought it to life.

After I squeeze out the juice, I rub the pith over my arms and neck. Sometimes I squeeze a few drops into my hair. Makes me smell like Aaron.

5. Carole Corlew on January 6th, 2012 at 12:51 pm

There was a lemon cologne I used when I was a teenage clerk behind the cosmetics counter of a fancy department store. I can’t remember the name, We had dozens of high-end perfume samples available to use. But I spritzed myself with lemon brightness every single time.

I also had a tendency to borrow a sultry red wig from the wig department. But that’s another story.

6. Rick Neece on January 6th, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I got a gift from a secret Santa at church in the early seventies, English Leather, “Lime.” I liked it. I didn’t use it freely, just every now and then.

I don’t know what happened to the bottle, but I can still smell it in the back-roads of my nose.

7. Sheila Ryan on January 6th, 2012 at 6:27 pm

I like to chop garlic and ask people to smell my fingers.

8. Carole Corlew on January 6th, 2012 at 8:51 pm

Rick, you said English Leather and I thought of fast cars and dark country roads. There were no doubt dead possums too but my mind edits those out.