February 10, 2012

How does Deron feel about this car?

Or anyone else, for that matter. The Tesla Model X will have gull wing doors. In the back, apparently.

comments

1. Deron Bauman on February 10th, 2012 at 4:52 pm

I’m okay with it. In fact, I’m pretty pleased with most of the Tesla and Fisker models, although I don’t love the Fisker noses.

2. Michael Smith on February 10th, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Just the word “Tesla” makes Deron swoon. If the Oscar Meyer Weiner-mobile had a Tesla badge on it Deron would lust after in ways a man shouldn’t lust after giant hotdog shaped automobiles.

3. Michael Smith on February 10th, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Oh! I was hoping I’d beat deron.

4. Michael Smith on February 10th, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Also, I would have beat deron if managerial duties hadn’t called.

5. Joel Bernstein on February 10th, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Apparently the doors are double-hinged, so they swing into the space above the car rather than beside it.

6. Rick Neece on February 10th, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Managerial duties suck. I just ran over to the office to reboot the modem. My boss was at home and couldn’t get his email. (In case he sees this (he won’t) I really didn’t mind. It took ten minutes, there and back.)

For the record, I’d drive this.

7. Deron Bauman on February 10th, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Sorry, Michael. I had passed out. What were you saying?

8. Joel Bernstein on February 10th, 2012 at 5:46 pm

He was just thinking about cats again.

9. Marco on February 10th, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Honda CRV been sleazin’ around with that hillbilly Ford Taurus.

10. Rick Neece on February 10th, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Marco
    A few years back, Danny and I visited our friends Stephen and Jim on Michiana Shores. We drove our new Taurus. We picked Stephen up at the train station there from Chicago on a “late” Friday afternoon. The next day, we were sitting on the beach with them and their friends. What we drove came up in conversation.

Stephen: “Rick and Dan’s car seems pretty nice…”

One of Stephen’s friends: “Stephen, I never expected I’d hear you extolling the virtues of a Ford Taurus.”

Me and Dan, later, one of us said: “Fuck him and his soccer-mom, Jeep-drivin’ gay-ass. What does he know?”

11. Rick Neece on February 10th, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Even at the time, that might have been a little harsh. I’ve driven a Jeep. It was a pretty nice ride, too.

12. Rick Neece on February 10th, 2012 at 9:13 pm

We now have a hillbilly Town Car, eight years old. And a Saab, twelve years old. I’ll take the Saab over the Town Car. I like to take it out on I-435, make the Turbo kick in. I’m gettin’ older, don’t wan’t to take many chances, but every now and then I like remembering being young.

13. Rick Neece on February 10th, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Oh, and for the conflagration of CRV and Taurus? Well-played, I think.

14. Michael Smith on February 10th, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Cats don’t count.

15. Michael Smith on February 10th, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Also, did you guys all know racquetball is fun? Even if you don’t know what you’re doing.

16. picturerock on February 11th, 2012 at 9:22 am

I drive a Dodge Ram, and the bumper sticker on the back says, “Eatin’ Teslas, Shittin’ Fiskers.”

17. Marco on February 11th, 2012 at 10:33 am

I’ll admit in the privacy of this forum to liking some of the Tauri, but that particular model year was a jus’ a little too, um…Jetsons?

18. Rick Neece on February 11th, 2012 at 10:55 am

I hear you. (The last Taurus we had, I’m sure you’re referring to. Built with an oval in mind. There were ovals everywhere.) I kind of like the Jaguar-ish look of the new ones.

19. Rick Neece on February 11th, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I know the Jag has gone through changes since Ford owns the company. It makes me a little sad for the state of Jaguar and the “melding” in style between Taurus and Jaguar.

Not unlike the difference between a high-end Toyota and a low-end Lexus.

I know of a friend of a friend, whose goal was to one-day own a new Jag. He got it and told my friend, “They Cadillacisized the dash-board.”

20. Rick Neece on February 11th, 2012 at 9:58 pm

For the gull-wing, I’m sure it would knock me in the chin every time I opened it.