February 16, 2012

The Future of Reading

Tim Carmody’s keynote speech at the O’Reilly Tools of Change conference. Beautifully articulated.

comments

1. Sheila Ryan on February 16th, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Tim hooked me the instant he mentioned diagramming sentences.

2. Deron Bauman on February 16th, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Exactly.

3. Amy Mabli on February 16th, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I loved diagramming sentences in middle school.

4. Rick Neece on February 16th, 2012 at 6:17 pm

I remember diagraming sentences in seventh grade. I don’t remember loving it, though I now love puzzles. (Probably explains why I still can’t name the parts of speech.) I have, for a long time, wondered about reading (as sitting with a book on my lap) v. reading (scrolling down lines of text or other media as delivered on a screen). Media, whatever form it takes, delivered on a screen is media. The moment, the now.

The great words written. If delivered on the screen can engage me for a moment. The screen calls immediacy into play in a way a book doesn’t. A book on the lap calls settling in into play. I think Tim is correct, we’re on the cusp of the new. I’m quickly passing into geezerdom, if I haven’t already.

“I was there when I had to walk five miles in the snow to borrow a book. Had to pay two-cents a day penalty for every day after fourteen it was late before I returned it. Before you could download Stranger in a Strange Land immediately into your brain and grok it.”

I haven’t sat for long in a chair with a book in my lap for years, now.
    And my focus is scattered, distracted.

I’m not making a case for holding the old, I don’t think. Just sadly noting how I’m different the past few years.

I don’t know if it’s good or bad.

5. Deron Bauman on February 16th, 2012 at 6:20 pm

The acceleration of things I’ve been good at losing relevance is dizzying.

6. Rick Neece on February 16th, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Amen, brother.

7. Rick Neece on February 16th, 2012 at 6:41 pm

I’m with you there.

8. Casey Cichowicz on February 17th, 2012 at 9:50 am

I vote for a sentence-diagramming party at Clusterflockstock. I need a refresher.

9. Michael Smith on February 17th, 2012 at 11:16 am

I was never taught sentence diagramming. This is probably why I can’t write a sentence.

10. Sheila Ryan on February 17th, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Next time a bunch of us get together, I will lead a short diagramming workshop, after which we will play a diagramming drinking game.

11. Deron Bauman on February 17th, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Speaking of which. Are we getting together this year? If so, where, when?

12. Michael Smith on February 17th, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I’m in the process of not getting laid-off but being reassigned so I don’t really know what the heck my life is going to look like post 3/15 in terms of availability so, I can’t commit to anything but would love to get together.

Let’s get together
    yeah yeah yeah

Otherwise, you can all visit me one or two at a time.

13. Sheila Ryan on February 17th, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I sure hope we get together. I regret that I don’t have a suitable place to offer.

To review, what’s wanted:

• Reasonably easy access to and from a major airport
    • Common area(s) where all may gather
    • Private areas for sleeping and for “quiet time”
    • Nice (but not necessary): a kitchen, even if it’s simple

Deron, does this cover the basics?

14. Sheila Ryan on February 17th, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Deron, how many folks (on average) attend clusterflockstock gatherings? Seems there were twenty or so people last year.

15. Deron Bauman on February 17th, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Yep, that just about covers it: a place for everyone to sleep, and a room big enough for everyone to gather if we want. I think twenty last year was the most. We’d have to count each year to remember.