March 5, 2012

How do blogs need to evolve?

Anil Dash, Meg Hourihan, Matt Haughey, Paul Bausch, and Evan Williams discuss How do blogs need to evolve?

Anil begins the conversation with:

It seems like some of the basic elements of the form, such as comments, have been stuck in a model that doesn’t work very well to encourage quality responses and also doesn’t fit the way people do things socially online these days. Oddly, a blog comment isn’t even as good a social object as a photo.

comments

1. Michael Grant Smith on March 5th, 2012 at 12:31 pm

That discussion is a lot like a conversation I’ve been been having in my own mind lately, except with this one it’s real people and they are outside of my head.

I find myself agreeing with one particular characterization of commenting: if you want to say something, go start your own damn blog. But I also know it’s quicker, more convenient, and less burdensome to post a comment, rather than undertake the heavy lifting of maintaining a blog. It’s easier to react than it is to create.

So, I’m leaving a comment here.

2. Deron Bauman on March 5th, 2012 at 12:40 pm

I think the issue of blog commenting is usually perceived as binary. Either allow comments and they will suck, or don’t allow comments. The third option is a lot harder, and I think we stumbled on it by accident here. The first step is having a site that doesn’t attract a lot of superfluous thought, and the second is having a way to screen superfluous thought the first time it shows up. If you don’t let it through the first time, it won’t be there to accumulate. It’s a sad, fucked up, labor intensive part of running a blog. You’ve got to be vigilant about who you let through. Even then it can go south if you make the wrong decision, but for the most part, if you have a good system for knowing when to click yes (or no) on a moderated comment, the possibility of good comments increases.

3. Garrett on March 5th, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Hey, do you guys want to know how to increase your penis size? I know a guy.

4. Deron Bauman on March 5th, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Invalualbe inform post

5. Michael Grant Smith on March 5th, 2012 at 12:58 pm

On the Internet, my penis can be as big as I want it to be.

6. Sheila Ryan on March 5th, 2012 at 2:03 pm

MGS nailed it for me: It’s easier to react than it is to create.