March 25, 2012

Welcome to the before time before the before time

These are my goods, which I found in the place where I go and take what I need.

I feel like Walter Huston in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. I found the goods in the ravine out back, but I ain’t telling exactly where.

Any idea what they is?

comments

1. Sheila Ryan on March 25th, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Also: Nuts, am I?

2. Sheila Ryan on March 25th, 2012 at 4:13 pm

From an admirer:

His moves are sublime. I’ve spent years studying the Prospector style of dancing, and this is simply the version that inspired us all. Kudos, as always. Here’s my humble rendition.

3. Rick Neece on March 25th, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Artifacts! Are they fittings? Iron? Looks like they came from the same side of the boat.

4. Rick Neece on March 25th, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Yoke?

5. Sheila Ryan on March 25th, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Best suggestion I have heard has to do with traces for a team of horses pulling a wagon. I do have an ox yoke from just north of the border in Wisconsin, and that thing is big.

I also have a buckboard seat that’s been made into a bench. These might makes good companions for it.

6. Sheila Ryan on March 25th, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Oh, and speaking of boats, I’ve got another bench made from a rusty iron siding from a ship that sank in the Gulf of Mexico off Alabama.

Also, I hauled a piece of mining railroad track from the Mojave Desert back to Chicago. In my checked baggage. Still have it.

Used to have a huge piece of iron rail from a trunk railroad that ran into Chicago and was torn up on the street down the block from where I lived. It finally got to be too much to haul it from one dwelling to another.

I’m really into rusty old metal.

7. Casey Cichowicz on March 25th, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Will you make a bench out of it? I also thought it was something you might burden a beast with.

8. Sheila Ryan on March 25th, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Casey, there are other things buried in the muck where I found these, so I am going to wait till I’ve extracted all I can and then wait for inspiration.

9. Michael Grant Smith on March 25th, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Oxidation and fire are the same process; the difference is the speed at which they occur. That’s science stuff.

My grill is very rusty, so the steaks are going to be medium-rare in about five hundred years.

10. Sheila Ryan on March 25th, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Damn, MGS. You think that the declivity where I’m finding all of this rusty old shit was created by a raging fireball from outer space?

11. Michael Grant Smith on March 25th, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I’m thinking it was caused by a raging rustball.

12. Sheila Ryan on March 25th, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Maybe it’s stuff that warshed down from the Rust Belt.

13. Michael Smith on March 26th, 2012 at 12:16 pm