May 24, 2012

Lucy Foley: Songs for People I Will Never See Again

If you are in or near NYC, you have time to get to apexart for the first performance of Songs for People I Will Never See Again, a new live multimedia show by Lucy Foley, accompanied by her four-piece band. Sound design and additional music composition are by Lucy’s collaborator Ross Bonadonna, and instrumentation will include guitars, steel pan, synthesizers, laptops, toy piano, and clarinets, with a driving and playful rhythm section. There’ll be live and recorded music, projected imagery, and a spoken word narrative. It’s at 6:30 PM, and it’s FREE!

Lucy says,

The performance will include stories and songs of the wood turner of Sunset Park who turns devastating loss into beautiful objects, a woman who discovers her beauty accidentally by the side of the street, the great courage of daisies, Philoctetes the Greek air traffic controller who returns nightly to a cave to mourn his lost youth, and an unexpected love affair with a French mosquito. Songs For People I Will Never See Again is a show about people frozen in the moment of their appearance and of their disappearance. We celebrate tonight the moment freed from time into story and song, and hear of people I will never see again.

comments

1. SC on May 26th, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I wish I had seen the show. I’ve been streaming Ms. Foley in the office for the last couple weeks, the Fireside Sessions mostly. You can find a stream of it by going to the WMW link here: http://www.wombatrecording.com.

2. Sheila Ryan on May 26th, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Ah, that is so good! Thank you for the link. I too wish I had seen the show. But another chance will come, I am sure.

3. Lucy Foley on May 27th, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Pssst, SC! You can hear the Fireside Sessions directly here: The 2 Train on Bandcamp

You can even download it if you like.

4. Sheila Ryan on May 27th, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Thank you, Lucy, for directing us. I love those Fireside Sessions you and Ross set down.

5. SC on May 27th, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Thanks, Lucy. (There’s something about finding the Fireside Sessions buried on Ross’s site that makes the sound sound more like hearing your favorite song playing on someone else’s radio. A trill, that. For now, I’m continuing to stream from Ross’s site.)

6. Lucy Foley on May 27th, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Cool, I like that.

7. Sheila Ryan on June 5th, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Here you can see a video of Lucy Foley’s May 24 performance of her show “Songs for People I Will Never See Again.” There is also a boatload of photos on Flickr.