May 22, 2012

Mystery Flavours Revealed!

Hundreds of thousands of guesses have been submitted by the nation and three lucky winners have won £50,000.

Congratulations to Helen of Warwick, Nikki of Nottingham, and Emma of London!

comments

1. Casey Cichowicz on May 23rd, 2012 at 11:01 am

Wait, someone correctly guessed “these chemicals taste like Lincolnshire sausage and brown rice”?

2. Sheila Ryan on May 23rd, 2012 at 11:06 am

Not brown rice but the ubiquitous English condiment, brown sauce. Still, I don’t know which is the more amazing, that someone did actually make that (apparently correct) guess or that such a flavor exists.

3. Sheila Ryan on May 23rd, 2012 at 11:13 am

My investigation into the flavors (flavours) of potato chips (crisps) began with a question from an American friend who lives in Germany and is traveling in the UK, where he discovered roast chicken-flavored potato chips and asked me whether we have them in the States. He speculated about the source of the chicken flavoring (and roast chicken at that). An English friend then told me he thought it funny that I found roast chicken-flavoured crisps exotic. They are quite standard and popular in England, he said.-

4. Casey Cichowicz on May 23rd, 2012 at 11:48 am

Sorry, I made up the rice bit, not sure why. But still. Then again, we have “taco flavor”.

5. Sheila Ryan on May 23rd, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I think of “taco flavor” in terms of “taco” seasoning, which raises a whole nuther set of questions, but anyways, it does seem that most US potato chip flavors are intended to suggest dips, sauces, and other condiments (such as mustard). Cheese and vegetable flavors are also common.

I think of the “barbecue” flavors in terms of barbecue sauce, not barbecued meat.

“Roast chicken” and “prawn cocktail” are types of flavors conspicuously absent from US supermarket shelves.

You can tell that I am avoiding work I need to be doing.

6. Sheila Ryan on May 23rd, 2012 at 1:38 pm

This morning a friend here in the Driftless Region did remind me of Chicken in a Biskit.

7. Erica Braverman on May 23rd, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I would happily eat lobster roll flavored chips. Or shepherd’s pie flavored ones.

8. Sheila Ryan on May 23rd, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Me, I think I’d rather have the thing itself. Lobster roll. Shepherd’s pie. Roast chicken. (Except for Lincolnshire sausage and brown sauce, which I wouldn’t care to eat no way no how no where.)

And eat thin little salty slices of potato on the side.