June 22, 2012

I have no idea

Theodore, Alabama. I have no idea.

comments

1. Sheila Ryan on June 22nd, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Theodore Alabama is a forgotten figure in the history of retailing. Just around the mid-point on the timeline leading from the dime store to the dollar store, there was the fifty-cent store. Theodore Alabama was its avatar, but Thedore Alabama was no Sam Walton, and thus the fifty-cent store was swept into the dustbin of history.

2. SC on June 22nd, 2012 at 1:26 pm

That is the _only_ sign on that building. I parked, walked around the building, and couldn’t figure it out. The little sign above it just says “Butler Building” or something along those lines. There’s one door in the front and a loading dock in the back, no windows.

3. Dave Vogt on June 22nd, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Sold.

4. Dave Vogt on June 22nd, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Does anyone have a couple of quarters I could borrow?

5. Sheila Ryan on June 22nd, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I’ll shoot you fifty cents via Paypal, Dave.

6. SC on June 22nd, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Since it’s Alabama, I have to wonder if they have two for a dollar specials on weekends.

I’ve been trying to think of a reason for that sign since I took the photo but I’m still drawing a blank.

7. rick nrece on June 22nd, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Butler is a manufacturer of metal buildings. Don’t ask me how I know this.

8. SC on June 29th, 2012 at 8:41 pm

I’ve always dreamed of living in a Butler building.

Men of a certain age in my family go to the backyards and pour slabs of concrete. That behavior puzzled me for years but then I figured it out: We all dream of Butler buildings, it’s in our genes.

9. Sheila Ryan on June 29th, 2012 at 9:08 pm

I’ve got a kinda yearning to live in a pole barn.

10. Sheila Ryan on June 29th, 2012 at 9:09 pm

SC: You do realize you have the makings of a song there, yes?

We all dream of Butler buildings
    It’s in our genes

11. SC on June 29th, 2012 at 9:29 pm

What’s a pole barn?

12. Sheila Ryan on June 29th, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Erh, a pole barn is . . . well, it’s . . . eh, I don’t know why exactly it’s called a pole barn, but they have them, all of these farms in the Midwest. You have these poles, and they hold up a roof. Corrugated metal enters into it somehow.

13. Michael Grant Smith on June 30th, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Where I live, you build the biggest pole barn you can afford, and chain your dog(s) inside it. The largest pole barns produce the most volume and resonance.

Around here there are also a lot of pickup trucks, in the back of which are those insulated kennels for dogs. I think the locals use them to transport their animals from pole barn to pole barn. For reasons that are unclear.

14. Sheila Ryan on June 30th, 2012 at 4:31 pm

High volume and resonance is good for the region and good for the dogs. How else will others know of its (and their) existence?

The power of confinement!

15. SC on June 30th, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Okay, I think I get pole barns now. Basically, they are what’s left over after a couple of nasty thunderstorms hit a regular barn, if you are lucky. I guess I always thought of pole barns as ruins but now I see that their glory comes (Speer-like) from being pre-ruins.

16. SC on June 30th, 2012 at 7:52 pm

…from pole barn to pole barn. For reasons that are unclear…

Their reasons will be clear enough soon enough. There may or may not be warnings from the CDC but when it happens, everyone will know.

17. Sheila Ryan on June 30th, 2012 at 10:42 pm

If you are selling a “hobby farm” in the Driftless Region, touting a pole barn on the premises is pretty much de rigeur.

18. Rick Neece on July 2nd, 2012 at 7:33 am

I’m thinking of opening a gentleman’s club called The Pole Barn. Maybe somewhere along the St. Croix border between Minnesota and Wisconsin.

19. SC on July 2nd, 2012 at 10:23 am

Will you keep the Fifty Cents sign?

20. Rick Neece on July 2nd, 2012 at 11:05 am

I’ll add a small one above it in small type:

Starting From

21. Sheila Ryan on July 2nd, 2012 at 11:05 am

Do it, Rick. And keep the Fifty Cents sign.

22. SC on July 2nd, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Goodness, what do you get for fifty cents? Does that include tax?

I like “The Pole Barn” but if expand your compound, you might want to use “Hobby Farm” for the whole compound and “The Pole Barn” for the gentleman’s club. So, in ads, you’d say “The Pole Barn at the Hobby Farm.”

A useful site for a man building pole barns: http://www.diypolebarns.com.

23. Sheila Ryan on July 2nd, 2012 at 2:22 pm

“The Pole Barn at the Hobby Farm” has a refined sound to it. Like [name of golf course] at [name of gated community].

24. Sheila Ryan on July 2nd, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Lap dance cost you a quarter extra.