October 26, 2012

Scary Stories:

You know some people talk about being abducted by aliens. I won’t say I have been, but I’ll tell you this much. When I was little, I dreamed I was falling asleep and just as I was nodding off, I felt a weight settle on the bed at my feet. I looked down to see a cat-eyed, long-limbed creature crawling up my legs toward my face. I screamed out, Daddy came. We didn’t have a cat at the time.

In a motel in a northern suburb of Denver, working retail for a couple of weeks a few years ago, I was awakened by something yanking me completely out of the bed by the big toe. I awoke drenched in sweat and in the same position I fell asleep.

Lately when napping, I’ve felt the bed settle, as if a weight lands near my feet, as if a cat has jumped on the bed. I look to find nothing there.

comments

1. Sheila Ryan on October 26th, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Here is something strange. When I was a kidlet, I had scary visitations. Now I am a big girl, I still have visitations, but they are mostly benign.

It’s my real life that scares me.

2. KevinQ on October 26th, 2012 at 10:18 pm

When I was a kid, I got Nintendo Power magazine. One issue had a preview of a game called Uninvited, about a haunted house. Not much to the preview, just a little blurb about the story of the game – after a car crash, the unnamed hero must look in the nearby haunted house for his missing sister.

About six months after I first got the magazine, I was reading through it again, and noticed, scrawled alongside the blurb in a very un-Nintendo font, “They should have heeded the warnings.”

It wasn’t there the next time I read it.

K

3. Sheila Ryan on October 26th, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Okay, Kevin, that does scare the snot out of me.

4. Sheila Ryan on October 26th, 2012 at 10:44 pm

When I was little, one of my chores was to take out the garbage — to a metal garbage can by the alley that ran behind our house and yard. I often procrastinated till after dark. That was bad, as once night fell, the risk of finding a severed head in the garbage can shot up dramatically.

5. Phil Bebbington on October 27th, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I once saw Abe Lincoln stood in my bedroom. He didn’t say anything nor did he move. He was in black and white. I woke my wife to point him out, but, she couldn’t see him. Damn her!

I spent some considerable time closing my eyes and opening them. He hung around for a while.

He came back for a few nights and then seems to have got fed up with me.

Then there was the fucking tiger on the back of the bed and the ceiling crawling with frogs.

Prozac has its upside!

6. Sheila Ryan on October 27th, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Naturally Lincoln was in black and white. The whole world was black and white in his day.

7. RomanChance on October 30th, 2012 at 6:28 pm

In our last home I awoke on more than one occasion to not only the sensation of someone sitting on the edge of the bed but also the creak of the springs. Thinking it was my wife I actually discovered her asleep downstairs in front of the television. On anothe occasion i found myself watching a shadow unable to sleep when after many minutes it moved to the end of the bed and left the room. It had been sitting beside me watching me sleep. Before you get creeped out I have to say that on none of these occasions did I feel threatened. The feelings, other than shock, were actually very neutral. I also have to say I don’t believe in ghosts or aliens or any of those things so have no explaination other than maybe some kind of partially awake dreaming. No drugs or booze involved btw.

8. Sheila Ryan on October 30th, 2012 at 6:39 pm