November 22, 2012

Last night I dreamed

Kansas City. Or more rightly Leawood, Kansas. 119th St. A street fair of sorts. Jazz and barbecue. White tents. A billion people swarmed it seemed. Overwhelming. Overwhelmed. I was in the deepest basement of a store storing display props. A mannequin on a stand. A woman horizontal. Shaped like a dolphin. The leg came off. I had to wrestle to carry it with the rest. Awkward, wobbley, moving through dim-lit aisles. Found a good spot, threw the extension cord over. The added weight started it leaning forward. It wasn’t going to stand. Fukkit I thought. Picked up my phone. Went upstairs. Outside. Street was crazy. Growing bright. Noisy in the dusk. My phone rang. It wasn’t my ring. It wasn’t my phone. Had a coiled expansion cord with three loose wires. I tried to call its number to find the owner, realized I had the owner’s phone. I think I remembered where I left my phone. It was on a shelf in the society department of the store where I worked. I went into a store-front. There were refreshments. Gordon Lish followed me in. White hair wisping like his white hair does. I said Gordon! What are you doing here? Getting my boat fixed was his reply. He head-gestured toward the drive out front where sat a long, long cigarette boat. Black. Shiny. I said what’s that on the back? Jet engine he said. He was gone. Sheila walked up wearing layers of clothes. She said the outer layer was her on-the-lam-bswool vest. She asked if I wanted to go out for a smoke. I said oh, hon, I stopped smoking….Back in March she finished. I nodded. She looked disappointed. I said you want to sit a minute? We sat. I couldn’t stay seated. I needed my phone. I said you want to walk with me? She nodded. We started up the street.

comments

1. Elizabeth Perry on November 22nd, 2012 at 9:18 am

Mmmm. Thank you, Rick.

2. Sheila Ryan on November 22nd, 2012 at 11:25 am

Layering is good. As are you, Ricky Cameron. As are all of you.

3. Doc on November 22nd, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Surprising it was Leawood; PV or Westwood I could see Lish showing up…

Dreams, go figure.

4. Sheila Ryan on November 22nd, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Rick, Danny, and I had lunch at La Bodega, I think it was, in September, so maybe Rick associates me with Leawood.

I was on a quick run through the KC area en route back to Illinois from Texas.

I hope to make it back sooner rather than later (next year, anyway) and maybe meet you, Doc, as well as see Rick and Danny again . . . and Andrew and Erica and Robert Ledgerwood and a few other folks.

SEE ALSO: India’s Thanksgiving post.

5. rick neece on November 22nd, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Saryan4now, while the last place I

6. rick neece on November 22nd, 2012 at 7:58 pm

saw you was Leawood it may be how I would associate in dreams. Still I would associate you first with the nelson, the river bottoms or po’s dumpling house first in awake-time. Still, either state your company is wonderful.

7. Sheila Ryan on November 23rd, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Mr. Po! The man with the two-drink maximum!

8. Sheila Ryan on November 23rd, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I’m a river-bottom woman.