November 26, 2012

Swirling in the Service of the Lord

We had no idea our hosts were evangelical Christians with a sinister agenda. But when we arrived at their compound, the look of it was bad enough to give us pause. Each detached “unit” was brand-new, but they were all made to look like crackers’ shacks. I made a sneering remark alluding to “Tobacco Road”.

It wasn’t long before they invited us to leave. At the farewell dinner, I annoyed our hosts by singing a parodic hymn of praise and thanksgiving, “Swirling in the Service of the Lord.” Then we helped ourselves to macaroons and bagels “for the road”.

Before I set off walking for the car, I went down to the basement and scooped up a boxload of drugs, also “for the road”. Waiting for the freight elevator, I spied a pair of shoes in a bin of items collected for a fundraising sale. I nicked them. “Like walking on peas,” they were.

At some point during the night, I had to wear a badge indicating that I was a Woman Who’d Had One or More Abortions. But that was a different story, I think.

comments

1. rick neece on November 26th, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Was the badge scarlet? Was the A for Abortion or Abolitionist?

Pay me no mind. I’ve seen and am now reading Cloud Atlas.

2. Sheila Ryan on November 26th, 2012 at 5:54 pm

The details of the badge I don’t recollect.

I do recall that the macaroons were really really good.

3. Sheila Ryan on November 26th, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Also, Rick, the sinister evangelists sang “Leaning on the Everlasting Arms” before I sang “Swirling in the Service of the Lord”.

And you are directing a bilingual (Spanish-English) diorama retablo operetta with puppets titled “Swirling in the Service of the Lord”. Stage design by Tom Sale (Pinky Diablo). Libretto by Cindy Scroggins, Sheila Ryan, and Cooper Renner.

Cindy has already written one verse of the title song.

So block out some time.

4. rick neece on November 26th, 2012 at 6:45 pm

I’m breathless in anticipation.

5. rick neece on November 26th, 2012 at 7:00 pm

For stage inspiries? Dali/Bacon/Noguchi? (DBN on the menu.) Twisted cross? Thorny crown? Tomato lettuce?

Something, something. Washed in the blood? Red, white and black? Ravens? Snow? Red-twig dogwood?

6. rick neece on November 26th, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Everyone! Practice your spanglish. No one is exempt from a role.

7. Sheila Ryan on November 26th, 2012 at 7:03 pm

This morning I had a colloquy with five enormous, fearless, and friendly crows. I’d like to include ravens. I never met a corvid I didn’t like.

8. Sheila Ryan on November 26th, 2012 at 7:04 pm

No one is ever exempt from a role.

Throwed roles.