March 6, 2013

Netflix’s ‘House Of Cards’

House of Cards on Netflix

In its current form, television offers artists exponentially more time to develop a narrative. Over the course of multiple seasons, TV makers are painting compelling characters and weaving their storylines in significantly more layered and complex ways than filmmakers could ever hope to. And talented people are jumping on the train.

Indeed, if the literary equivalent of film is the short story, the literary equivalent of television series is the novel, and both filmmakers and their audiences are starting to realize it.

(via Neon Tommy)

comments

1. Michael Smith on March 6th, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Who has watched this? I have to say I loved it until the last few episodes and was very disappointed in the (non)ending of the season finale.

Without giving anything away, there was a point where I felt like the darkness and immorality of the main characters jumped the shark and suddenly the morality of power being pitched became just a bit too dark.

Curious to see what others think.

2. Michael Grant Smith on March 6th, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Hey, Michael. Kathy and I watched all thirteen current House of Cards episodes in a matter of a few days. I enjoyed the show’s overall quality very much: writing, acting, direction are all very good. Most of the main characters are extremely complex. Some of the plot twists are a little hard to bear, but once you’ve bought in I guess you’re along for the ride.

Which brings me to your remark about giving anything away. Netflix is entitled to crow about changing the way viewers watch TV programming, but one dynamic I’ve noticed regards trying to have conversations with others about the show. Used to be that everyone was more or less following the same episodes of a TV show. Viewing was linear. Now, it’s often an all-or-nothing proposition.

The “season” finale felt less like a finale and more like the end of any other of the thirteen episodes. I guess that eventually viewers will strap on their diapers and sit down to watch “all” twenty-six episodes, and it will appear quite seamless.

3. Michael Smith on March 6th, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I guess you’re right and I don’t really give a flying fuck if I give anything away; when Peter died I was pissed. I thought he was both the most interesting and most redeemable character in the show. He was almost a good guy, but I guess that’s why he had to die.

The fact that Underwood killed him, that was difficult to swallow.

I agree with you thought, the writing is good and the characters are all complex and well developed and I’ll certainly be watching the second season or whatever you want to call it.

I actually felt like the finale was more cliff hangery than any of the other episodes and that hurt a bit.

4. rick neece on March 6th, 2013 at 8:30 pm

On a similar line of thought, anyone else watched the first two seasons of “The Killing?” Based on a Danish series. I would recommend after a weekend marathon of the two seasons.

5. rick neece on March 6th, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Also, I liked the American “House of Cards.” Loved Spacey and Wright. Though I’d agree it fell slow in later episodes. I’m still on the fence about the authenticity of “he hints-at-gayness” episode.

Also, I thank netflix for providing the entire show at once. I’ve grown to love marathon viewing. Anymore, I’m less inclined to watch anything week-by-week.

6. rick neece on March 6th, 2013 at 8:44 pm

Although I am watching this last season of “Supernatural,” day-after-network-viewing, week-by-week. I so love “the boys.” I’ll miss them when they’re gone. Don’t tell them I said that.

7. Michael Smith on March 6th, 2013 at 8:57 pm

Rick, I’m with you, the few shows I watch week-by-week are always at risk of me just not caring anymore.