April 2, 2013

Soviet Ghost Town in the Czech Republic

Bozi Dar Soviet Base in Czechoslovakia, Arch

In 1992, Russia generously gave the already crumbling buildings and polluted, explosive-riddled land to the Czech government, claiming that the value of this piece of real estate would make up for the cost of cleaning it. It seems the Czechs had little choice but to accept.

Bozi Dar Soviet Base in Czechoslovakia, Interior

Bozi Dar Soviet Base in Czechoslovakia, Spa

(via Vice)

comments

1. rick neece on April 3rd, 2013 at 1:00 pm

These are great images. Put me of a mind of Phil Bebbington. And I could see myself as a teen, in these nearby ediphae (edificae? edifices?) hanging out with the gang.(I hesitate to say friends, and don’t mean gang, neither, just who there was to hang out with who would tolerate my presence at the time. Ah, my mis-spent closeted-anarchistic-gay-baptist youth.) Sitting on the edge of the spa, smoking cigarettes. Watching shenanigans. Maybe spray-painting a little myself.

We live in a city with several closed schools. (The school system in KCMO has gained a certain notoriety for its failure.)

I invite Phil to come visit KC again. I’ll take him to some nearby. We’ll sneak in and maybe I’ll take up smoking again, just for our time together, and sit on the edge of an empty olympic-sized natatorium pool while Phil takes photographs. Somebody ought to.

2. Sheila Ryan on April 3rd, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Rick, I bet Phil would dig that fishy-smelling district you took me to while we were looking for the Missouri River.

3. Sheila Ryan on April 3rd, 2013 at 1:31 pm

P.S. I am determined to find the Missouri River.

Note: People, Rick knows where the Missouri River is, and so do I. It’s just that I was in KC and was hot to get down in some Missouri River muck, not stroll on a generic gentrified touristic River Walk affair that doesn’t actually run right along the riverbank. So me and Rick tried to get to the river, which we did not succeed in doing. But we had heaps of fun looping through a Real Working Warehouse Area that smelled of mud and fish.

4. Carole Corlew on April 3rd, 2013 at 1:39 pm

That reminds me of the times I used to take the Iowan with me to try to find the Lost River in West Virginia. We have not found it yet. But I will never give up.

5. Sheila Ryan on April 3rd, 2013 at 5:36 pm

The Iowan has this thing about West Virginia, right? So he’s probably firing off turbulent energy that messes with your innate ability to locate lost things.

Don’t mind me. I’m working at re-learning what little I know of traditional feng-shui (evaluating landforms and doing geomantic compass readings) in anticipation of helping my friend Charlie establish a good orientation for whatever structure he decides to erect there by his organic truck patch. So I’ve got benevolent and malevolent energy on the brain.

It’s still wicked cold here, but the other day Charlie did plant some kale, collards, and beets.

6. Michael Grant Smith on April 3rd, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Rick, I thought about Phil, too. It’s what made me want to post this. The interior photos remind me a little of his work from Crete. Oh, that Phil.

7. Cooper Renner on April 3rd, 2013 at 9:01 pm

I too thought of Phil! Do we get a prize?

8. Michael Grant Smith on April 3rd, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Terrorkitten Awards to be presented by Mr. Phil Bebbington.

9. Carole Corlew on April 4th, 2013 at 9:01 am

Shelia, pyramids! Daddy had them in the garden, fashioned from bamboo and twine or grapevine. They supported vegetable tendrils. People buy cages now but they have a different shape. Food for thought. And exactly re the Iowan’s chaotic energy!