May 23, 2013

“Cinema is a haunted house.”

Puttin’ on a Little Dog, inspired by silent film actress Marie Prevost (1898-1937), is a lovely short video by Charles Eadie.

Features a performance by “Jasper”, a cameo by me (as Prevost), and clips from The Godless Girl (1928). Music from “On an Overgrown Path” by Leoš Janáček.

comments

1. Sheila Ryan on May 23rd, 2013 at 7:31 pm

HOLLYWOOD, CALIF., Jan. 24 [1937] (AP) Death in a small Hollywood apartment ended Marie Prevost’s futile fight to retrieve her faded screen glory.

The body of the one-time Mack Sennett bathing beauty who went on to leading roles in the mid-twenties lay today in the county morgue.

Dr. Frank R. Webb, assistant county autopsy surgeon, said a post-mortem examination indicated acute alcoholism.

Face down in her bed the silk pajama-clad body of Miss Prevost was found yesterday by a negro houseboy, William Bogle.

Whining beside his mistress was Maxie, the actress’ dachshund. Teeth marks on her body suggested the dog had made frantic attempts to arouse her. In the sink lay several whisky bottles, empty. Miss Prevost apparently had been dead two or three days.

2. rick neece on May 27th, 2013 at 8:07 pm

Love. Sad and beautiful

3. rick neece on June 8th, 2013 at 2:04 pm

I just watched this again. Beautiful! I love it. The shoes are true to era in my mind (In answer to Sheila’s question on Facebook.). Wish more people commented. Is clusterflock dead?

See y’all in the funny pages!
    XOR

4. rick neece on June 8th, 2013 at 2:07 pm

The beagle-colored dachshund breaks my heart.

5. rick neece on June 8th, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I think I would really hate it if I were the last person to comment on Clusterflock.

I think Deron should be the one. Deron? Are you looking? Can you end it? Much love, XOR

6. Daryl Scroggins on June 9th, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Rick, I love your fine heart and I ache with the memory of all that CF was. I don’t know if anybody will make any more comments, but if I can spare you from being the last I will! What a deep well this has been. Which means that it still is, and will be–with many thoughts rising in the future of what Can Be when people let go of fear for a while and seek to join in.

7. Sheila Ryan on June 10th, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Rick, that little dog is a wonder.

Also, I knew you’d vindicate my footwear.

8. Derek on June 11th, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Whoa, is this it? Or did i just forget how to log on here? I figured the last post would be:
    “Detach from station, and may god’s love be with you”.

9. Doc on June 13th, 2013 at 7:19 am

Ha-llo?

(echo)

10. Sheila Ryan on June 13th, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Derek, that woulda been the thing. “Detach from station . . . . ”

Doc: “Yo . . . yo . . . yo . . . yo . . . ”

I dunno. No one’s in charge of the asylum, and the inmates are wandering all over the grounds and beyond.

Michael Grant Smith tweeted a thing about hot dogs I’m thinking to post.

11. derek on June 17th, 2013 at 5:31 am